Saturday, July 13, 2013

Julie Larson-Green at the Wired Business Conference

I just do not get why people complain so much about the start screen and design.

A., if you're a power user as most of you claim to be, you were already using the windows key (and other hot-key combinations) to open up your start screen and navigate in Windows anyways. Now, instead of it being a 4-6 inch pop up it's your whole monitor.. Oh, miss the "ALL Programs"  menu?? Right-click and then click all apps or swipe up from the bottom (touch the bottom and drag up quickly if you're not so technically savvy). Same scenario just optimized for the touch monitor. As a designer, this makes complete sense because if you can get the program to work for touch touch you don't need to design for a mouse it will integrate easily. Sometimes, I wish I could use touch instead of my mouse..

B., if you don't like developing on windows 8 RT, develop a desktop app with C#/XAML, C++/XAML OR, OR, the age old JavaScript/HTML. There are several areas in the .NET framework to develop in. If you understand OOP and data driven programming, which I am certain you do because you've developed before; you will find that the markup and OOP principles are still there.. You just have to try something different. I know, I know, change is scary. But I can assure you that programming in a new language, a new format or style will not kill you..

C., Don't like the design? Perhaps, you should take a few design courses, then, design AND develop an experience and not just a logical program; find out how truly difficult it is to cater to 900 dimensions to please everyone and I am certain your opinion will change about the ugly and "godwful" design of Windows 8. (hold on, did you say "godwful"? Are you 5? No one is on a power trip) Anyway, it's not just about the design, stop thinking so singularly. Add design, development, ease of use, simple guidelines and user pleasure and guess what, you no longer have a logical program you have a fully fleshed out, living, evolving experience. Which is the future of technology. I think Steve Jobs, said, there will be a time when users don't need hard drives. He was right. Think about all of the devices you use, tabs, phones, comps, laptops.. I am tired of them not working together.. Having 100's of passwords and saving in multiple places.. In 2005, I tired having my cable tv, internet, telephone all working through my computer.. Unfortunately, it was too soon for that at the time. But not now. Now, my xBox, laptop, desktop and even my servers are all connected.. I even run a domain controller on Azure and connect my local environment to the DC in azure. Do you know the possibilities of this for Small Business, aka, the backbone of our economy..?

About MAC's, let's be honest, go to your awesome MAC change the desktop background and then go to your tablet and tell me if the same is image is displaying.. (using only stock apps) I doubt it, because they are not actively designing with the notion of simplicity ACROSS devices in mind they are designing with sexy SIMPLE devices in mind. Think about that for a second.

Lastly, it's not that they aren't answering your complaints, it's that they are not complaints they are opinions and it appears every bad opinion is the about windows 8. Though I am certain Microsoft values your opinion; every time I read these things it's the same issues over and over, I want the start screen, bring back DOS, where is this and where is that.. Here is something I bet you've never heard. LEARN SOMETHING NEW. Try it before complaining and really try it, don't half-ass it and bring some improvements to the table, instead of bitchy complaints, and I bet you'll feel more appreciated.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment