Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Windows Keeps Getting Better

to Eugen M, f4denz, Brandon Leblanc:

/fun on /  Initially I was going to sign on as "Grumpmeister3000", but then I thought that "Ultratechmonster9000" would give me way more credibility.   /fun off/

Overall Windows 8 is an amazing technology.  Got Wow factor, sick, yeah, baby! and such. So creative, and so playful. Wonderful. Lovely.  

But it is not very useful for the following groups of consumers:  

1) People who use computers for work.  I mean, the humdrum type of "accounting, taxes, billing, payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable" work.  I don't see how a column of numbers can entered via a touch screen.  It's not that I am that dumb or (imagine air quotes) "out of touch".  There is still lots of data that exists on paper and

needs to be entered into a computer.  Inconceivable to you, but real in the real world.  

2) People who are older than, say 45 years or so, that "baby-boomer" crowd inching toward retirement.   As you know, that demographic group is growing, growing, growing.  And, if you don't mind, ask Bill Gates, who somehow got a lil bit older too,  to answer truthfully about which input device he uses on his computer for basic, everyday, down-to-earth tasks.  I bet he likes a mouse and keyboard, he just can't tell you for marketing reasons.

(and Warren Buffett of course does not even use a computer, but that is way off the old tangent)

Nonetheless, I venture to say that many, not all, but many older people have trouble with the "youthful fluidity of motion" required to successfully interact with a touch screen.   Does Microsoft even have a "focus group of older people"?  You know, the ones who forget what to focus on, like me.  If not, then it should.

So, now, then:  Given that group 1 and group 2 above make up a huge, HUGE, part of potential Microsoft

Windows 8.3 consumers, why is it so hard for Microsoft to understand that ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL.

Next: Given how comparatively easy, EASY, EASEY it is to modify software, why would Microsoft insist that only

ONE FLAVOR of Windows 8 is allowed.  It really would be VERY EASY for MS to accommodate the "Touch crowd"

and the "keyboard and mouse" crowd.    

To imagine that in front of your very eyes, I have to describe it for you:  

You boot up Windows 8.3, and on the  first screen you are given three (reversible) choices:

1) I use Touch screen only. I am so cool.  Keyboards and Mouse are for unteachable boring old folks only.

2) I use Touch screen as well as Keyboard and Mouse.  I am so flexible and fantastic.

3) I use Keyboard and Mouse only.   Touch screen is for unproductive touchy feely artsy folks only.

And, thus, depending on your choice you get booted into the operating environment of your choice.

How hard can that be, really ?

And if you wonder why I am talking about Windows 8.3, which does not exist as yet :  It's because I am looking ahead and can tell from experience that it takes Microsoft on average at least 3 revisions to get things workable enough.   I remember using Windows version 3.11 and Win 95 came along.  I tried to upgrade, but it was a "no go".  Back to Win 3.11 until Win 98 v2 came along. Then I gladly skipped Windows 2000, as well as Win XP SP1, and Win XP SP2.    I jumped from Windows 98 to Win XP SP3.  Good move.  Then I skipped Vista (excellent move), had no need yet for Windows 7, and now I am waiting for a Win 8 version worth jumping to.   May be in 2015.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment