Sunday, April 24, 2011

Excel provides file name problem; Man searches for and finds answers

Today's post is a little more... as I am wont to do technical and I have to say, right front, that I get the answer on my own with. Nope. Read on.

A reader named Tim from New York had a problem that was while no work stoppage problem, exactly, drove him nuts yet.

Tim, with Windows 7 and Office 2010, was used to with (juggling, I would say) at a time open work many, many Excel spreadsheets, and he wrote me, to tell me that, when mouse over an Excel icon in the taskbar, all Office 2010 programs with open files show only the application icon and then the file name. BUT he said Excel shows the symbol and "Microsoft Excel" and the file name. For Tim was a problem, because he so many files open, that he the names of all you could see from the taskbar. He saw it like this (X 100) because of the all the files he had open:

Multiple instances of Excel displaying program name beside filename (Tim)

Well, I tried it and was not able to reproduce this problem. If I multiple tables open, was all that I saw the Excel icon and the name of the spreadsheet (recording way of less space than Tim). By the way:

One instance of Excel, multiple spreadsheets within it (Crabby)

So here's the thing (and I found this out from a very helpful person, who is on the Microsoft answerswith the name "Pollardie"): Tim had a new instance of Excel for each spreadsheet was open instead of the opening of its many tables in Excel, as I was doing. Pollardie said that he should open his tables within an instance of Excel, if he wanted to disappear the program name Tim telling cut off, cut off, disappear.

Problem solved? Well, Yes and no. Technically, Yes, but Tim wanted to open his spreadsheet of any way, in which he is looking forward, I thank you (hey, a man has his reasons) and so for him, no, that not the question to answer. And so he pursued it on Microsoft answers, and both Tim and Pollardie came with a beautiful solution.

Pollardie offered this bit encodings:

Open the VBE by pressing of ALT + F11. (VBE is Visual Basic-Editor a tool with which you create or modify certain procedures from within any Office program.) This is what Tim wanted to do: modify the Excel established behavior.)Open the immediate window (CTRL + G) and copy it into the field, which opens and press enter:

Code: Application.Caption ActiveSheet.PageSetup.LeftFooter =

Yep, worked, the. However, Tim wanted this code to run automatically, every time he uses Excel. And he found a way. Here to see for yourself.

I would like to thank Tim for the time, me written and follow-up with Microsoft answers. I would like to also, that masked Crusader on Microsoft answers, Pollardie, thank you very much, who and where you are...

Moral of the story: if not questions, not a you received a response.

Office partner


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment